RV Insurance offers a variety of coverages that depends on how you use your vehicle, either recreationally or even as a full-time residence. How you operate your vehicle also matters when choosing the right coverage.

For example:

A motorhome will need separate liability coverage to stay on the road.

But a travel trailer would already have liability insurance because coverage is transferred from your auto insurance policy while it is being towed by your covered auto.

Recreational vehicles covered:

Class A, B, and C motorhomes

Travel trailers, conventional and fifth wheel

Pop-up and truck campers

The Alabama Mandatory Liability Insurance (MLI) law provides that no person shall operate, register, or maintain registration of a motor vehicle designed to be used on a public road or highway unless it is covered by a liability insurance policy. The law was passed to protect consumers when they are involved in an accident. Liability insurance policies must be issued by insurers licensed to do business in Alabama for no less than: 25/50/25

25 / 50 / 25

$25,000 of Bodily Injury Coverage to one person

$50,000 of Bodily Injury Coverage per Incident to 2 or more people

$25,000 of Coverage for Damage or Destruction of Property

Minimum Liability Insurance is required on all self-propelled motor vehicles. Keep in mind, these are only the minimum limits. Increasing these limits can help protect you in the case of a more serious accident or an accident with a vehicle worth more than $25,000. Call Wiggins Insurance to inquire about increasing your limits.

However, liability coverage only pays for damage and injuries that you cause to another vehicle and driver. 

1. Full Coverage

Full Coverage, as required by lienholders, refers to the inclusion of both Collision and Comprehensive Coverage.

2. Collision Coverage

Under Collision coverage, we pay for damages if your vehicle overturns or if it collides with another vehicle or object. Collision coverage involves a “deductible” amount you select when you purchase your policy. This amount, typically $250 or $500, is the amount you are required to pay in the event a claim exceeds the deductible amount.

Example: You are involved in a crash that results in $8,500 worth of repairs to your vehicle. You have a $500 deductible; therefore, you only pay $500, and the company pays $8,000.

2. Comprehensive Coverage

Under Comprehensive coverage, the company pays for damage caused by an event other than a car collision, such as fire, theft, vandalism, hail, or flood damage. Comprehensive also covers damages from an animal hit. Like Collision coverage, a deductible applies.

Keep in mind, these coverages may have certain differences and exclusions between carriers so always read through your policy documents to understand your specific coverages.


Additional protection that may be available, for peace of mind:

RV Roof Protection helps cover the needed repairs or even the replacement of your RV’s roof. Older vehicles may not qualify for coverage.

Pest Protection helps cover damage to your RV from birds, rodents, and other vermin. Older vehicles may not qualify for coverage.